Senior Database Administrator – Contract
About the Role
The Senior Database Administrator will build, manage, and support Prometric’s global and growing database environment of SQL Server, Oracle, Hadoop, and CouchDB database servers, providing solutions that maximize system availability, efficiency, stability, data integrity, recoverability, and maintainability. The senior-level DBA will be required to mentor junior team members. Learn new technologies and be a part of a global, growing team of engaged individuals creating innovative solutions.
Apply for the Senior Database Administrator Role above or contact John Egan for more information.
Responsibilities of the Senior Database Administrator Role:
- Provide ongoing support and administration of all (predominantly SQL Server) database servers, including installation, configuration, upgrades, data migrations, maintenance plans, deployments, performance tuning, backups, and recovery.
- Provide off-hour on-call availability as needed.
- Review and deploy approved database code releases to QC and production environments.
- Ensure database environment is secure, highly available and reliably backed up.
- Manage user and group access to various database resources.
- Provide data capacity and node forecasting and planning based on baselines and trends of data growth, resource usage, and performance metrics.
- Implement, monitor, and support ETL processes.
- Evaluate and propose new tools and technologies to meet the needs of the organization.
- Follow best practices regarding security, meeting compliance levels, and documenting configuration and standard procedures.
- Actively plan and manage projects involving new database systems and enhancements.
Required Qualifications and Experience for the Senior Database Administrator Role:
- 4-year degree in computer science-related field required.
- 5+ years Microsoft SQL Server enterprise-scale database administration experience.
- Strong leadership skills; ability to guide and train junior-level team members.
- Experience installing, configuring, monitoring, and administering both OLTP and OLAP database systems of various sizes.
- Strong understanding of best practices and standards for database design, security, and implementation.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently on complex problems and prioritize workloads in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
Desirable but not Essential for the Senior Database Administrator Role:
- Proficiency with Windows, Linux, and/or network troubleshooting.
- Experience supporting and/or strong desire to learn Hadoop, CouchDB, or other big data / NoSQL platforms.
- PowerShell scripting skills.